Tow Bars for Bakkies
Tow Bars are available for light SUVs and Bakkies. All Tow Bars are SABS approved ensuring your peace of mind and safety. All units come with a wiring harness and a 1 year comprehensive warranty. Installation takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the type of vehicle.
We offer a range of tow bars, Double Tube Step Bumper Tow Bars, Fixed Head Under-car Tow Bars and Detachable Tow Bars. We supply and fit Tow Bars for most the latest model bakkies – including previous models and certain SUVs, Caravans and trailers, etc.
Models include: Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Chev, Amarok, etc.
What is the maximum vertical weight limit and what does this mean?
The maximum vertical weight is what the vertical Legal weight you may allow to rest of the towbar. This is legal manufacturers requirement and tests are done and approved. You will normally see a SABS stamp somewhere on the unit. Exceeding these limits will void the manufacturers warranty and possible insurance claims as well. Be careful to follow the towing requirements as this will have a significant impact in terms of usability and safety.
What is my vehicles maximum towing capacity?
Your vehicles ability to tow maximum load will depend on the vehicle itself. Always refer to your vehicles handbook, it will give you clear and precise instructions as to what your maximum loads are. A vehicle can only tow a certain load before comprising the safety of the vehicle and other road users. Please be sure to follow all towing regulations for your own safety
Do i need a license to Tow?
Yes you do need a license to tow if the GVM of the trailer is over 750 kilograms. If by any stroke of bad luck you are involved in a accident your insurance claim may be refuted and you may receive a fine as well.
What vehicles do you fit tow bars for?
We will fit a towbar to any make of Bakkie. We have variuos options ranging from a Double tube full step towbar to a Detachable towbar.Our Fitment centre does not do not fitment of towbars to Normal Cars, Suv’s. We only fit tow bars to Bakkies and light commercial vehicles.
What is the time frame it takes to install a towbar?
A product can take anywhere between 24-48 hours to arrival once ordered at our approved towbar fitment centre. We do not keep stock on hand. We order as we need. A towbar installation can range anywhere from an hour to 3 hours depending on the type of vehicle we are fitting.
Who is aware of the new Towbar Legislation?
Legislation now prescribes that all towbars must be SABS approved. Your insurance will become null and void and you will have no recourse if you do not meet those requirements. All SABS approved towbars should go though over a million stress tests for a supplier to bear the approval stamp. Some companies claim to be SABS approved, You as an customer need to ask the right questions and do your homework properly before any purchase can be made.
Terminology (Referring to Tow bars and Towbar Fitment)
Tare-The Tare of your Vehicle, Trailer or Caravan is the actual weight of the vehicle without any petrol / fuel, Luggage, and without any passengers. The Tare weight will include any standard fittings.
Payload-The Maximum mass a vehicle, trailer or caravan including passengers fuel or luggage
Gross vehicle mass (GVM): This is the sum of the tare and payload, and equals the maximum permissible, fully loaded mass of the vehicle
Gross combination mass (GCM): As the term implies, it is the sum of the GVM of the towcar and the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum towing capacity for that vehicle – that is, the mass of the fully laden tow vehicle plus the maximum towing capacity as stated by the manufacturer.
Towbar static load: The maximum permissible downward force on a towbar is specified as its static load.
Towbar maximum drawing capacity: Towbar manufacturers specify what maximum mass of trailer or caravan may be towed with a particular towbar.
Noseweight: The mass of a caravan or trailer measured at the tow hitch. By law in South Africa it has to be between 25 kg and 100 kg.
Manufacturer’s maximum towing capacity: Vehicle manufacturers specify the maximum towing capacity, in kilograms, that their vehicles can handle. (i.e. GCM – GVM = towing capacity).
Here are two brake-related concepts that also need to be understood:
Braked trailer: Certain caravans and trailers come standard with what is known as an ‘overrun’ brake system, and are then classed as ‘braked’ trailers or caravans. (South African law stipulates that all caravans and trailers with a GVM above 750 kg must be braked.) In simple terms, overrun brakes are activated when the tow vehicle’s brakes are applied: a shock absorber behind the caravan’s coupling compresses with the forward force of the caravan, which activates the overrun brakes
mechanically by means of cables. This causes the caravan or trailer to brake simultaneously with, or fractionally after, the towcar.
Service (additional) brakes: These aren’t common in South Africa. Most often referred to as ‘service brakes’, they are hydraulic, vacuum or electrical braking systems for caravans or trailers. Such a system needs to be fitted to a caravan or trailer if it has a GVM in excess of the tare of the towcar. All three types are engaged by depressing the brake pedal on the towcar, and some systems can be independently controlled from inside the car with a switch or lever.
- Insurance claims resulting from accidents while towing may face serious challenges if any of the following apply:
- The towbar or drop-plate fitted to your towcar by an aftermarket accessory supplier is not SABS-approved.
- You use an approved drop-plate and approved towbar from an aftermarket accessory supplier, but they have not been approved together as a unit.
- You exceed the maximum drawing capacity of the towbar.
- You exceed the maximum towing capacity of the towcar as advertised by the manufacturer.
- The GVM of your overrun-braked caravan or trailer is more than the tare of your towcar.
- The GVM of your unbraked caravan or trailer is more than half the tare of your towcar.
- CHEVROLET CORSA UTILITY (2005-2011)K-OPCO-05 Tow bars – Detachable Under Car – Powder Coated – 1 200kg Ball 50kg
- CHEVROLET UTILITY (2012+)K-CHUT-12Towbar – Fixed Head Under Car – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- FORD BANTAM (2009-2012) K-FOBA-09Towbar – with Centre Step 50mm Bumper – Powder Coated – Towing 650kg Ball 50kg
- FORD RANGER (2009-2012)K-FORA-09Tow bar- Under Car, Fit with OE bumper – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- Ford Ranger 2012 to Current TBPCD FORD T6Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 800kg Ball 75kgK-
- Ford Ranger Towbar – 2012 to current FOT6-12 Under Car Fixed Head – Powder Coated – Towing 3 500kg Ball 175kg
- Hyunda H100 Mild steel Double Tube Full step Bumper APR 2012 – HY1260H
- ISUZU (KB 2007-2013 Previous Model)TBPCD I KB08Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kgK-
- Isuzu KB 2007-2013-ISKB-08 *DISC*Towbar – Under car, Fit with OE bumper – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500Kg Ball 75Kg
- ISUZU RT50 (2013+) New ModelTBPCD I KB13Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 2 100kg Ball 100kgK
- Isuzu KB (2013+)ISKBDC-14KBTowbar – Under Car Fixed Head – Powder Coated – Towing 2 100kg Ball 100kg
- KIA K2700 (2007+) Fits single & double axleTBPCD K K2700Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- Mahindra XUV- XUV 500 Lockable detachable 2011 + MXUV500DTB
- MAZDA BT50 (2012+) New ModelTOWBARS: (FITS MODEL 2012 to Current)TBPCD FORD T6Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 800kg Ball 75kgK-
- Mazda BT50 (2012 to current) FOT6-12Towbar – Under Car Fixed Head – Powder Coated – Towing 3 500kg Ball 175kg
- NISSAN NP200 (2009+) K-NINP2-08Towbar – Detachable Under Car – Powder Coated – Towing 650kg Ball 50kg
- NISSAN NP300 (2009+)TBPCD N NP300Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- TOYOTA HILUX (FITS MODEL 2005 to Current)TBPCD T 326ATowbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 2 000kg Ball 115kgK-
- HILUX TOHI-11Towbar – Detachable Under Car – Powder Coated – Towing 2 000kg Ball 115kg
- HILUX K-TOHI-11KBTowbar – Fixed Head Under Car – Powder Coated – Towing 2 000kg Ball 115kg
- TOYOTA LANDCRUISER (2009+)TOWBAR: (FITS PICK UP ONLY)TBPCD T LC70Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- lANDCRUSIER K-TOQU-08 Tow bars – Fixed Head Under Car – Powder Coated – Towing 1 500kg Ball 75kg
- VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK (2010+)TBLDD V AMA Towbar – Double Tube Full Step – Powder Coated – Towing 2 000kg Ball 100kg – AM Harness include
- AMAROK 2010 + K-VWAM-10(SH)Towbar – Under Car Removable Smart Hitch – Powder Coated- Towing 2 000kg Ball 100kg – AM Harness included
- Amarok 2010 + Thule Gooseneck Towbar